St. Olave's careers strategy embraces the high aspirations of our students through extension and enrichment activities which enhance the careers content of the curriculum. We measure the success of our programme against the Gatsby benchmarks in ensuring that the key stakeholders of students and parents are engaged through involvement with employers, alumni, professional careers experts and mentors.
The following initiatives are common across all year groups.
- Students and parents can access regular updates of local and national careers' events via Forthcoming Opportunities.
- Careers events are celebrated in the weekly Headteacher's Newsletter.
- The Annual Parents' Association & Old Olavian Careers Fair provides speed mentoring.
- Real-life career applications of mathematical concepts, problem solving and analytical skills feature in lessons.
- Science focuses on careers in environmental science, electrical, civil, mechanical, aerospace and nuclear engineering as well as astronomy, medicine and the arts and media. Related careers discussed are teaching and finance. The Physics and Engineering Society and The Natural Sciences Society are run by students who give weekly talks and write high quality articles for journals they produce. Lectures in central London or nearby schools are publicised by the Science Department.
- In English there are visits from poets, writers and actors and non-fiction writing of articles and job applications. The softer skills of speaking and listening are practised via the curriculum and through Speak Up Speak Out training as well as competition for the Poet Laureate position. Opportunities to perform in shows as actors, musicians and technical teams are offered frequently.
- Personalised SEND careers and progression guidance is available to all students.
- Pupil Premium students have equal access to all careers events through targetted funding and individual mentoring from the PP Champion.
The Aim of our Key Stage provisions are as follows:
|Years 7 & 8||Years 9, 10 & 11||The Sixth Form|
|At KS3 we aim to inspire and inform students with an introductory programme on which to build.||At KS4 we reinforce the key messages through advice and guidance.||At KS5 we prepare students for making their choices in a challenging labour market.|
The programme for individual year groups can be accessed by selecting the appropriate year group below:
|Year 7||Year 8||Year 9||Year 10||Year 11||Year 12||Year 13|
All students have access to the careers’ platform Springpod. The website is straightforward to use whether students wish to find out about pathways to specific careers, question career ambassadors working in the field, seek work experience or contact organisations they wish to find out more about for their future career.